Monday, June 22, 2009

Stop and Smell the Roses Blog Bouquet

The Wild Rose Press wants you to stop and smell the roses! Check out some fabulous books by Wild Rose authors, visit their blogs and win a prize. At the end of today's blog, you'll find a list of other authors participating in the Stop and Smell the Roses event. You can collect a lot of prizes, since there's well over a dozen authors participating. I'm offering a $6.00 gift certificate to The Wild Rose Press online store, which is enough to cover the cost of most ebooks offered there. Ebooks can be read on Sony Readers, Kindles or even on your iPhone.

"Stop and smell the roses" turns out to be a particularly appropriate topic for me this summer, as I'm going to be forced to do just that. Turns out I have to have some unexpected and rather major surgery. Aside from the stress of facing the surgery itself, there's the knowledge that recovery will take six to eight weeks, during which I can't do any sort of strenuous activities. I admit to being pretty upset about the situation, but I've lived with the information just long enough to start finding advantages in it. Like, six to eight weeks of no doing laundry! Or carrying groceries! Hooray!

But seriously, an event like this forces a person to view everything in a new perspective. I signed on to do this blog before I found out about needing the surgery, otherwise I probably wouldn't have signed up at all. You see, I'm finding that listening to my son practice piano or planting some marigolds in the garden or tending to my own roses - all those things matter so much more when you don't know what tomorrow might bring. Or when you realize it could be months before you're able to do them again!

Ironically, the heroine of my TWRP novel, Thirty-Nine Again has survived a serious health challenge herself. In Thirty-Nine Again, breast cancer survivor Sabrina is still trying to reinvent her life when the Mexican Mob interferes with her plans. In the end, she outsmarts them and learns, in her own way, to stop and smell the roses, rather than trying to control every aspect of her life.

I hope you too will smell those roses, and that it won't take a huge health crisis to make you do it. Take some time to catch up on the books in your To Be Read pile or listen to your kid practice his music lesson. Maybe even sit in the garden and smell the roses!

Now for the contest: Post a comment on this blog and win a gift certificate for an ebook at The Wild Rose Press. 'm giving you until the end of the day on Tuesday, June 23rd to post your comment on my blog. I'll announce the winner later this week.

If you visit the other Wild Rose authors listed below, you'll find even more cool prizes up for grabs. All their Stop and Smell the Roses blogs should be up on their sites today.


21 comments:

  1. Lynn, best of luck on your surgery. Keep your sense of humor and enjoy the downtime to read, brainstorm and plot. I did that three years ago in the same situation. My sweet and spicy medical romance, BABIES IN THE BARGAIN, a sort of Grey's Anatomy, is coming in two weeks to TWRP. It may keep you entertained.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mona. I'm kind of looking forward to the time to catch up on my pile of books to be read and all those videos sitting on my Netflix queue!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's not easy to relinquish control to others when you're so used to doing it all yourself, but it can be learned. I agree with Mona--use the time to indulge yourself. Read and eat bon-bons.

    And thanks for the reminder we all need to slow down and take time for the things that really matter, like family.

    I'll be thinking of you and wish you the very best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Lynne...

    There are times when some things just become more important and this is definately one of them...

    Treasure the small things and find the funny side of life...

    I wish you all the best and luck.. even with the recovery... try to milk it as long as you can... you never know when you will get a chance to sleep in again..

    E.H>

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best of luck with the surgery, Lynn. Excellent post! 39 again sounds like a great read!

    Nic

    ReplyDelete
  6. So true, EH! Although with a hyperactive 12-year-old who plays drums, not sure how much sleeping in I will be doing! Maybe I should ask them if I can move into the hospital for the summer, might be more restful. . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lynn,

    I wish you the best of luck and a speedy recovery, but do take time to heal! 39 Again sounds wonderful!

    Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lynn, here's to a speedy recovery, but do get your rest.

    I'm totally intrigued by a cancer-survivor heroine. I'd like to see more H and H's as victors over cancer.

    Best,
    ~Tanya
    www.tanyahanson.com
    www.petticoatsandpistols.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I went through a serious illness almost ten years ago and know all about relinquishing control to others. It's never fun, but it does make you realize what's most important in life.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Lynn
    I'm sending you white healing light and prayers for your recovery.

    My sister is a breat cancer survivor and love to see life celebrated.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Prayers and thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lynn I hope you have a safe and speedy recovery, so that way you can get back to do that laundry and lifting those groceries again :-)!
    ~Afshan
    Afshan522@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for all the good wishes, everybody! Afshan, I'm hoping the hubby likes doing laundry and groceries so darned much - maybe he'll refuse to hand those chores over to me again when I'm well. Hey, it could happen!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lynn i wish you all the best and hope ur health improves and ur right life is too shott to not stop and smell the roses ty for taking time and reminding me of that to day

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good luck with your surgery. Faith and a good sense of humor will be as beneficial as a good surgeon. An breast cancer survivors do learn to Stop and Smell the roses. I know I did. December 2008 I celebrated 1 year of being cancer free. I was diagnosed with breast cancer July 3 2007, so I have a sort of surreal anniversary coming up and I plan to celebrate it the same place I went the night I learn I had breast cancer. I packed up and went to the beach with my family. And I think 39 Again will make a great beach read..of course I don't have an e-reader yet, so I'll have to order it in paperback! But guess what's on my Christmas list!!

    Lilly Gayle-
    Out of The Darkness- coming soon from TWRP

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good luck, I hope everything goes well. I had 2 strokes so I know what you mean by stop and smell the roses. I had to remember what is important.

    lbcanton@verizon.net

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lilly, congrats on passing your first anniversary of being cancer-free! That's a great milestone. And Loretta, glad to hear you are doing so well now, too. It's unfortunate that it often takes a big health crisis or other difficulty to get us to re-order our lives. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I enjoyed your post. It sounds like a great book. Everyone should take the time to stop and smell the roses, but unfortunately it sometimes takes a push to get us to do that.

    Good luck with your surgery. I had a similar situation several years ago. I enjoyed the time off after I adjusted to being able to do nothing. I read a lot and spent a lot of time with my family.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful post--and I hope your surgery goes very well. I agree about stopping to smell the roses--it's so important to slow down and spend time with those we love most...every day. It's a tough lesson for me, since I tend to be a workaholic, but now that summer's here, I'm cutting the workload in half and spending great time with my kids. After all, in the long run, they are what matter most! :) Thanks for your thoughtful post.

    God bless,
    Jennette

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good Luck with the surgery. My kids are teenagers now and there are plenty of times that I realize just how little time I have left with them in the house.

    Take care of yourself.

    lynda98662 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Lynn,

    Good luck and blessings with your surgery.

    It is good to stop and smell the roses. There are more important things in life - and life "can" change drastically from one moment to the next.

    Lupe

    ReplyDelete