Saturday, March 14, 2009

The Best Laid Plans of Mice and Me

Last week, I reached the end of my rope (at least for now) with the historical paranormal I began a couple of months ago. I had a very sexy hero, a wicked cool courtesan heroine - but really, I had no story. I had an idea of a possible germ of a story, but not really a plot per se. That's not all that unusual for me in the early stages of a story. But usually the story seems to pull itself together at some point and tell me what the heck to do with the characters. This time, it just wasn't happening. Trying to work on that story was becoming more dread-filled than a visit to the dentist. So I packed it all away. Got a great big box, threw all the notes into it and decided I would take a sabbatical. This week I would spend on getting some craft and gardening supplies. I would exercise another part of myself.

Well, I got to exercise another part of myself, all right. The part that kneels on the bathroom floor cleaning up Tasmanian Devil Boy vomit. And other body fluids too, come to that. In fact, cleaning up body fluids that really aren't even supposed to be fluids. For five days I have been serving jello and then, a few minutes later, cleaning up the jello when it makes its rapid and very unpleasant re-entry into our world.

My poor Taz has been sick with one thing or another since early February - first a respiratory flu, then an ear infection, and now the mother of all stomach flus. He is a bright and generally cheerful kid, but just loaded down with weird obsessions and anxieties - these are part of the package with someone who has Asperger's Syndrome, which he does.

This is what taking care of a mildly sick person with Asperger's is like:


Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory is the most accurately Asperger-y person I have ever seen on TV. Truthfully, he probably has a worse case of Asperger's than my son. But his obsessiveness is right on target and a fine example of what every day with The Tasmanian Devil Boy is usually like.

This past week, however, Taz been so sick that he hasn't had time to fret over how many questions are on the math worksheet or whether we will eat dinner at 6:00 versus 6:15. That part of his illness was actually a little restful. Too bad the trade-off for losing his anxiety was becoming violently ill! He really had me scared for a few days there, but now he's getting back to his usual exasperating self. I guess that's the good news.

I'm just glad I didn't have any writing deadlines to meet this week. Guess I was right to shelve that book for now. But I'm not making any plans for gardening or doing crafts next week though - I wouldn't want to tempt fate twice!

3 comments:

  1. Lynn-you certainly know how to make a very unfunny situation funny--lol. And every Mom out there can relate to this at least a little bit--Asperger syndrome or not.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very good friend of my has a son with the same syndrome -- and I admire her tremendously for being such a good mom and an advocate for him (she is really struggling with a battle at his school). Moms who deal with kids with "challenges" deserve a "Great Mom" medal.

    Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, Marianne - that's very sweet of you. I wish I had more "Great Mom" days and fewer "So that's why the British invented boarding school" days!!!

    ReplyDelete