Friday, November 7, 2008

The Blog About Blogging

So I just came back from a romance writers' conference in New Jersey, and every freakin' workshop leader was going on and on about the importance of blogging. Really? Frankly, I'm still skeptical as to whether blogging sells books. I haven't seen one single statistical analysis linking blogging and book sales. So far, all the evidence is entirely anecdotal. But the pressure is there now, and of course, you don't want to NOT do it and make future editors or agents think you lack sufficient drive and ambition to get your name out there.

Plus, there's the real secret reason why so many people are blogging. We love to hear ourselves think. But in fact, that's my main objection to blogging. I worry that the current Blog-Mania is creating a Tower of Babel - the whole planet is talking, but no one is really listening. However, my own ego is pretty super-sized, so I'll be happy to share my opinions and experiences with anyone who lands on this little corner of the Blogosphere. And believe me, I have LOTS of opinions.

But what about you? What do you think of blogging? Is it a zippy new inexpensive promotional tool? Is it the 21st century equivalent of the Salon - a marvelous new high-tech way to bring together people of diverse views and exchange ideas? Is it the Tower of Babel? OR is it just a positively fabulous way to avoid writing the next chapter of that novel - or that financial report, business presentation, or other odious work-related task??? Aha. Now I think I might be onto something!

And now I think I'll get on to writing that odious next chapter. I'll try to update this blog weekly, and I might even get really carried away and start doing some contests and inviting guest bloggers to join me. Ann, I'm looking at you. . .

9 comments:

  1. Congrats on your blog and a fabulous looking one at that. Let's exchange blog listings--mine is www.annecarrole.blogspot.com! Can't wait for your book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Anne - glad to see you stop by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great blog on blogging. Kind of like the funny SEINFELD episode about nothing. Except your blog was about something. Blogging.

    See why I haven't started my blog yet?

    Ann
    www.annwhitaker.blogspot.com (I think)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Girl, I don't want to hear myself think. That happens every second of the day. I just blog because they said I have to. LOL. My blog turned into a place where people can gather information.

    Great blog, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Skhye. Yes, everyone is definitely expecting us to blog. I guess it's more fun than keeping a diary, because I can add pictures and even videos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with you on the whole blogging thing ... I've been pressured from all sides so I'm starting mine today ... I think ... then again, it's one more thing I have to procrastinate about. maybe that will be my item that falls away so I can write :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Blogging is inbound marketing like other social media. It's a way to build an online community, to help others, and yes, occasionally to vent.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jessi - I've noticed a few blogs I used to enjoy reading have gone silent recently, and I think you're right. I can definitely imagine blogging being a short or medium term project for me. It's way too easy to write blogs and comment at blogs and then realize I've totally forgotten to write a single word in my current Work-in-Progress!

    ReplyDelete